welcome

SHL Discord

Welcome to the Simulation Hockey League!

The SHL is a hockey player sim league that has been running strong for over thirty seasons in its current iteration! Through the use of Simon T. Hockey Simulator and a unique progression system, the SHL promises to be just what you're looking for and more!
staff
League Management
expand/close

OWNERS:
Leafs4ever
jkrever
Spangle
Trill
teztify

COMMISSIONERS:
Eggy216
CRUTCHFIELD

HEAD OFFICE:
Formx
DrunkenTeddy
TheDangaZone
SwegKingu

SMJHL COMMISSIONERS:
Storm
Dan^2
Zoone16
Evok

SHL GENERAL MANAGERS
Buffalo Stampede:
WannabeFinn
FourFour

Hamilton Steelhawks:
ThatDamnMcJesus
Gooney

Manhattan Rage:
JayWhy

Minnesota Chiefs:
Baelor Swift
Andybj

New England Wolfpack:
Toivo
Storm

Toronto North Stars:
Symmetrik

West Kendall Platoon:
JR95
Wongy

Calgary Dragons:
Steelhead77
c00kies

Edmonton Blizzard:
karlssens
Ace

Los Angeles Panthers:
Wasty
vbottas17

San Francisco Pride:
Grapehead

Seattle Riot:
Samee

Texas Renegades:
Dankoa
JumpierPegasus

Winnipeg Jets:
MWHazard

SMJHL GENERAL MANAGERS:
Detroit Falcons:
TheWoZy
Waters

Halifax Raiders:
TheDangaZone
Shmurph

Montreal Militia:
Keygan
ErM

St. Louis Scarecrows:
TML99
JKortesi81

Colorado Raptors:
InciteHysteria
FlappyGiraffe

Kelowna Knights:
NourFFAK
Thunder39

Prince George Firebirds:
Sleepy
ml002

Vancouver Whalers:
DrunkenTeddy
adamantium
twitter
news
The Simulation Hockey League's 41st Season is currently underway!

Congratulations to the Calgary Dragons for winning the Season 40 Challenge Cup, and the Kelowna Knights for winning the Season 40 Four Star Cup!

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post ) .reply    .new topic    .new poll   

» GM Selection Process - Easier Way?
TheRealBK
 Posted: Sep 30 2017, 11:18 PM
.quote   

S38 Challenge Cup Champion and Schwarzenegger Impersonator

Members
Member ID: 2532
Rep: 18 pts

N/A

Hey, so I talked about this before last season, and I thought I'd reach out and talk about it again, because it seemed pretty clear cut this season on who was going to be GM's for Prince George, Detroit, and Vancouver.

I suggested this last season, but why don't we simply just forego the whole application process for picking a GM while the team has a Co-GM, and simply ask if they would like to become the Head GM?

Out of the last couple of seasons, the vast majority of GM hires have simply been promotions or locker room favorites. So, I suggested this last season after drodger's hire, and I didn't get much response from it, so I'd like to know if this works or not.

In the event where a Head GM resigns or is fired from his post on the team, Head Office makes a decision on whether or not they think the Co-GM is ready for the position.

- If they think he is ready, they ask him if he wants said promotion. If he agrees, it is a simple promotion, simple announcement, and the GM now has more time to set up prep for the draft instead of hoping to get the spot.
- If he doesn't want the spot, then we go through the application process, finding a new GM for the team. However, the Co-GM who said he doesn't want to be Head cannot apply for the spot, due to him already turning down the position.

- If Head Office decides that the Co-GM isn't ready, they notify him, saying that they think an application process is necessary to find a GM. There's been a lot of instances where people have been left in the dark in terms of decisions from Head Office. This has been my situation for the better partfive years, since I was unknowingly relieved of my duty in Vancouver back in S5. The only times that I've been notified of anything have been from Co-GM applications. I would love to hear responses from the Head Office about why a decision was made not to pick this guy, or that guy. Give them a reason to keep applying, and not leave someone in the dark.
Employers always notify applicants on whether or not they got the job, and why. Why can't Head Office or the Commisioner do the same? It doesn't take much time to say 'We feel like you're just not qualified enough for the position due to X reasons'. Don't tell me you can't do that.
- Through this selection process, when head office decides that an applicant isn't good enough for the spot, they notify him about it and tell him what he needs to improve his standing for his next go-around.
- In the event that either there are no applicants for the job, or the applicants don't have enough credentials to get himself the job, they now go through the process of asking the Co-GM again, basically repeating the first batch of steps above.

I know that going through the process above might not give you a general perspective of what's out there, but at the end of the day, you're most likely going to promote the Co-GM anyways, so why waste the time on an application process, when the decision was made pretty much the first day?

Again, this would make GM selections go much faster, and would have GM's ready and prepared for the upcoming draft much faster, instead of waiting, and then rushing to find people to fill on their team.

Please, please, please, give me feedback on this idea. I would love to go back and forth on this discussion, and perhaps this could help me understand what I need in order to get a spot in management in the near future.

This post has been edited by TheRealBK: Jan 12 2018, 12:26 PM

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

#ReliveTheProcess

.pm   
^
CFJ
 Posted: Sep 30 2017, 11:36 PM
.quote   

S34, S38 Challenge Cup Champion

SHL Media Graders
Member ID: 2509
Rep: 44 pts

N/A

#BK4GM

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image

Thanks to prettyburn, TML, Wasty, Jepox, Karey, Flappy and Toe for the sigs.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
CODE
First Career SHL Goal, 4. Manhattan Rage , Crossfit Jesus 1 (Pedro Sarantez, Nucky Toohoots) at 5:51

user posted image user posted image user posted image
.pm   
^
Beaver
 Posted: Oct 1 2017, 01:07 AM
.quote   

actually a skunk

Members
Member ID: 2728
Rep: 38 pts

N/A

Seems reasonable enough in all honesty. It did seem a bit excessive to take this long when it was more or less an open secret who would get the positions.

--------------------
Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

user posted image

user posted image
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

5 assist game vs Texas #ItsStillRealToMeDamnit
1. San Francisco Pride , Joseph Lombardi 4 (Clint Eastwood 2, Jack Tanner 5) at 0:17
9. San Francisco Pride , Geronimo Otto 5 (Jack Tanner 6, Kelly Rivet 8) at 2:07 (PP)
10. San Francisco Pride , Kelly Rivet 6 (Clint Eastwood 3, Jack Tanner 7) at 5:12
18. San Francisco Pride , Jacob Renninger 7 (Jack Tanner 8, Jed Lloren 4) at 8:40 (PP)
19. San Francisco Pride , Jacob Renninger 8 (Jack Tanner 9, Victor Lindstrom 1) at 12:10 (PP)
.pm   
^
Clint Eastwood
 Posted: Oct 1 2017, 07:15 AM
.quote   

N/A

SHL Media Graders
Member ID: 2614
Rep: 25 pts

N/A
N/A

This is what the SHL needs!

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

Player Page

Player Updates

Dump And Chase Enthusiast
.pm   
^
GreyGooseVodka
 Posted: Oct 1 2017, 01:03 PM
.quote   

N/A

Player Updaters
Member ID: 2544
Rep: 2 pts

N/A
N/A

This does sound like a lot easier of a process.

Then again you can go full board and assign Team Owners who assign Management positions. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/images/smilies/ssst.gif

--------------------
S38 Four Star Cup Champion
user posted image
user posted image

user posted image
user posted image
.pm    .email   
^
TheRealBK
 Posted: Oct 1 2017, 01:34 PM
.quote   

Members

N/A

QUOTE (GreyGooseVodka @ Oct 1 2017, 12:03 PM)
This does sound like a lot easier of a process.

Then again you can go full board and assign Team Owners who assign Management positions. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/images/smilies/ssst.gif

The only problem with team owners now is that you'd have to find one for every single team here. If it was just for the juniors, that's still 8 spots to fill and that's another time consumer.

It's a very good concept, but I think it would work only if we started with that concept in the beginning.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

#ReliveTheProcess

.pm   
^
CFJ
 Posted: Oct 1 2017, 02:14 PM
.quote   

S34, S38 Challenge Cup Champion

SHL Media Graders
Member ID: 2509
Rep: 44 pts

N/A

QUOTE (Clint Eastwood @ Oct 1 2017, 07:15 AM)
This is what the SHL needs!

Finally you make sense aha, but your right.

This post has been edited by Crossfit Jesus: Oct 1 2017, 02:16 PM

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image

Thanks to prettyburn, TML, Wasty, Jepox, Karey, Flappy and Toe for the sigs.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
CODE
First Career SHL Goal, 4. Manhattan Rage , Crossfit Jesus 1 (Pedro Sarantez, Nucky Toohoots) at 5:51

user posted image user posted image user posted image
.pm   
^
TheRealBK
 Posted: Jan 12 2018, 12:22 PM
.quote   

Members

N/A

I'm bringing this back up because I never got a proper response, or even a 'We will discuss the matter'.

This process would be a hell of a lot easier, a hell of a lot quicker, and it gives you options.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

#ReliveTheProcess

.pm   
^
.bojo
 Posted: Jan 12 2018, 12:33 PM
.quote   

Just Monika

HOF Committee
Member ID: 1157
Rep: 511 pts

N/A
Snake Champion!

i thought they only did that in smjhl

--------------------
.pm    .email    .website   
^
TheRealBK
 Posted: Jan 12 2018, 12:34 PM
.quote   

Members

N/A

QUOTE (Beaujeaux @ Jan 12 2018, 11:33 AM)
i thought they only did that in smjhl

Regardless, this should be done for both SHL and SMJHL.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image

#ReliveTheProcess

.pm   
^
Grapehead
 Posted: Jan 12 2018, 01:18 PM
.quote   

S35 Challenge Cup Champion

SHL GM
Member ID: 2245
Rep: 62 pts

N/A

QUOTE (TheRealBK @ Jan 12 2018, 01:34 PM)

Regardless, this should be done for both SHL and SMJHL.

All they need to do is let GMs pick their successor with the head office retaining veto power in the event they don't think the replacement is suitable.

--------------------

user posted image

Credit to tweedle for my sig <3
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Update Page
user posted image
Pokemon Soul Link run with @shadowz1797
.pm   
^
Winter is Coming
 Posted: Jan 12 2018, 01:28 PM
.quote   

S35 Challenge Cup Champion || DELETE

Rookie Mentor Committee
Member ID: 1663
Rep: 84 pts

N/A

QUOTE (Grapehead @ Jan 12 2018, 01:18 PM)

All they need to do is let GMs pick their successor with the head office retaining veto power in the event they don't think the replacement is suitable.

Pretty much this, but the only issue is that there needs to be an objective line of reasoning to exercise such veto power (ideally written within the rules).

Simply "not liking someone" isn't a sufficient reason.

--------------------
#MADEHISTORY

user posted image
user posted image user posted image
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
.pm    .email   
^
Allegiant
 Posted: Jan 12 2018, 01:28 PM
.quote   

S3, S28, S36, S38 Challenge Cup Champion

SHL Media Graders
Member ID: 1654
Rep: 60 pts

N/A

QUOTE (Grapehead @ Jan 12 2018, 02:18 PM)

I would agree with this. I think, in all honesty, that the GM is in a better position to assess the ability of their co-GM (or other team members) than head office anyways. The veto would remain a valuable safeguard to prevent extreme lapses in judgement.

Of course, for the most part, I think head office is good about honouring GM recommendations. At least in cases where the GM isn't being forced out.

--------------------
user posted image

Player Page // Updates // Signature by Enigmatic

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
.pm   
^
Storm
 Posted: Jan 12 2018, 02:01 PM
.quote   

certified worst commish

SMJHL Commissioner
Member ID: 1174
Rep: 97 pts

N/A

QUOTE (TheRealBK @ Jan 12 2018, 12:22 PM)
I'm bringing this back up because I never got a proper response, or even a 'We will discuss the matter'.

This process would be a hell of a lot easier, a hell of a lot quicker, and it gives you options.

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about because we had an extremely detailed conversation about this whole topic, and I have no issue posting it here for proof if you don't believe me.

But in case you forgot for whatever reason I, as the SMJHL Commissioner, like to have some competition when it comes to applications. If a Co-GM gives us a solid app, then yes, they're likely to get it because they're most familiar with the team and the plans of said team. However we like to have some options in the situation that we feel a Co-GM isn't ready to take over or isn't as invested as we'd like.

It's the SMJHL HO's decision to do this, it literally affects no one for the most part, so I really don't understand why this is still an issue for you.

You got your SHL GM job so let me run my league how I've been running it for the past 5 seasons, which mind you, has been without any issues regarding GM hiring.

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image

storm is pretty much ISIS of the SHL server
- Rabidsponge21

.pm   
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Suggestion Box | Next Newest »

.options    Pages: (3) 1 2 3  .reply    .quick reply    .new topic    .new poll